FRIENDS HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
invites you to our SPRING MEETING
Lenape and Quaker Relationships in
Southern New Jersey
Saturday, May 6, 2017
Each year Friends Historical Association arranges a spring tour to a Quaker site of interest. This year, inspired by last November’s conference “Quakers, First Nations and American Indians from the 1650s to the 21st century,” we plan to travel to southern New Jersey to learn about past and present Quaker-Indian relationships, share stories, and renew friendships. We're planning stops and presentations at the following sites:
- Salem Oak and Friends Burial Ground, also the site of the first Quaker meeting in West Jersey;
- Lower Alloways Creek Meeting House, which was named for Aloes or Alowas, a Lenape sachem;
- Greenwich Village, with a stop at Greenwich Friends Meeting; and
- Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Grounds.
In addition, the following sites will be viewed from the bus, with information provided:
- In Greenwich: Bacons Neck, Ambury Hill Graveyard, the Cumberland County Prehistorical Museum, and the 1870 monument erected by Quaker George Bacon Wood to an Indian chief whose name is lost; and
- Gouldtown, established 1690, possibly the oldest African-American community in the United States.
Tour participants will have the opportunity to buy refreshments at Salem Oak Diner at the first stop. Lunch will be provided; please indicate below if you would like a vegetarian meal.
A 24-seat tour bus will leave Crosslands Center (1660 W Street Rd, Kennett Square, PA) at 9:00 a.m. and return by 5:00 p.m.
Participants are also welcome to provide their own transportation and join the tour in New Jersey.
Please complete this form and
send with your check to:
Friends Historical Association
Haverford College Library
370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford PA 19041
Registration Deadline: April 26th, 2017
For more information, feel free to make a contact on this list:
FHA at email@example.com
Thomas Swain at (610) 765-1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Sproat at (610) 444-3667 or email@example.com